Father’s Right’s Attorney in Tustin CA

Discover how a father’s rights attorney in Tustin CA can protect your rights

It wasn’t long ago that when a man and woman split up, it was almost guaranteed that the woman would get custody of the children. The best the man could hope for was visitation or partial custody. Fortunately, this is not the world we live in today. Today, the courts in California are legally required to decide custody and other child issues based on what’s best for the child in question. Learn more and then reach out to a father’s rights attorney in Tustin CA.

How to establish paternity without a father’s rights attorney in Tustin CA

In some cases, the law will assume the paternity of a child. For example, if a husband and wife are married when the baby is born and if the child is born to a woman who has been living with a man in a family-like manner and that man has shown commitment to the child. Absent either of these two situations, paternity must be established.

The easiest way in most cases involves both parents signing a “voluntary declaration of paternity.” If the child is born in a hospital, the nurses will provide the form to the mother and alleged father. When they sign the form, they are both acknowledging that they are the parents of the child and the father’s name is then added to the birth certificate. The father also has every right and responsibility for that child.

How to establish paternity with a father’s rights attorney in Tustin CA

If neither of the above situations are relevant, then paternity must be handled through the court. California state law allows any of the following to ask for a paternity order:

  • The mother of the child
  • A man who believes he’s the father
  • A man who’s been identified as a possible father
  • An adoption agency
  • A child support agency providing services to the mother

If the child whose paternity is in question is not yet 12 years old then are not considered a party in the case, but they are if they’re 12 or older. Either way, a court representative referred to as a “guardian ad litem,” will be appointed to represent the best interests of the child. The judge can require genetic testing of the potential father(s) and if they refuse the tests, then the judge can consider that evidence that they’re the father.

Not having custody doesn’t mean a parent isn’t responsible for the child

If you want custody of your child then we recommend you contact a father’s rights attorney in Tustin CA right away. If you have custody but you’re not getting child support from the mother, then it’s time to call an attorney. If you’ve been accused of being a father but you’re not sure that you are, then it’s time to contact an attorney.

At Law Office of Michael L. Fell, we are here to stand up for fathers. We recognize that your rights as a parent are, or should be, identical to those of the mother. If you have a reason to doubt that this is true then we encourage you to contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 for a free legal consultation.

The Law Office of Michael L. Fell - Family Law