Father’s Right’s Attorney in Costa Mesa CA

Discover how a father’s rights attorney in Costa Mesa CA can protect your rights

For many years, the mother of a child was considered the best person to raise the child. While a man and a wife raising a child together was the preferred option, if only one was raising the child then the courts almost always assigned custody to mothers. This is no longer true. Today, the courts are bound by law to grant custody based on who is best fit for the parent. Read on to learn more about this and other issues from a father’s rights attorney in Costa Mesa CA.

How to establish paternity without a father’s rights attorney in Costa Mesa CA

In some cases, the law will assume the paternity of a child. For example, if a husband and wife are married when the baby is born and if the child is born to a woman who has been living with a man in a family-like manner and that man has shown commitment to the child. Absent either of these two situations, paternity must be established.

The easiest way in most cases involves both parents signing a “voluntary declaration of paternity.” If the child is born in a hospital, the nurses will provide the form to the mother and alleged father. When they sign the form, they are both acknowledging that they are the parents of the child and the father’s name is then added to the birth certificate. The father also has every right and responsibility for that child.

How to establish paternity with a father’s rights attorney in Costa Mesa CA

If neither of the above situations are relevant, then paternity must be handled through the court. California state law allows any of the following to ask for a paternity order:

  • The mother of the child
  • A man who believes he’s the father
  • A man who’s been identified as a possible father
  • An adoption agency
  • A child support agency providing services to the mother

If the child whose paternity is in question is not yet 12 years old then are not considered a party in the case, but they are if they’re 12 or older. Either way, a court representative referred to as a “guardian ad litem,” will be appointed to represent the best interests of the child. The judge can require genetic testing of the potential father(s) and if they refuse the tests, then the judge can consider that evidence that they’re the father.

The non-custodial parent is potentially responsible for a variety of things

If you’re a father who wants custody of your child, then Law Office of Michael L. Fell is here to help. If you’re a father who has custody but needs help obtaining child support, medical costs, etc. for your child, then we can help. If you’re a man who’s accused of being a father and you want to find out what your options are, then talking to a father’s right attorney in Costa Mesa CA is a good idea.

We believe that every father has the exact same rights as the mother. If you’re a father who isn’t getting fair access to your child, or you’re worried that you won’t in the future, then it’s time to contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at 949-585-9055 for your free legal consultation.