Modifying Divorce and Custody Agreements

Life is full of changes, and sometimes those changes necessitate modifications to your divorce or custody agreements. At Law Office of Michael L. Fell, we understand that the agreements made during your divorce may no longer be suitable as circumstances evolve. We are here to help you navigate the process of modifying these agreements to better reflect your current situation and needs.

Understanding Modifications

While the court typically does not modify orders or agreements regarding asset and debt division, it is possible to petition for modifications to agreements involving child support, spousal support, and child custody/visitation. The key to obtaining approval for a modification is demonstrating that there has been a significant change in circumstances that makes the existing order unfair or impractical.

Child Custody and Visitation Modifications

The primary goal of any child custody or visitation agreement is to serve the best interests of the child. As life progresses, these agreements may need to be adjusted to continue meeting this goal. Common reasons for requesting modifications to custody or visitation agreements include:

  • Relocation: One parent needs to move to a different city or state for work or personal reasons.
  • Military Deployment or Incarceration: A parent is deployed overseas or is incarcerated, impacting their ability to adhere to the existing agreement.
  • Changes in Parental Fitness: A parent who poses a risk to the child may need to be denied custody or visitation, or a previously unfit parent may have made significant improvements and now seeks more visitation time.

At Law Office of Michael L. Fell, we provide comprehensive legal support to help you adjust custody and visitation agreements, ensuring they remain in the best interest of your child.

Child Support Modifications

Child support agreements are designed to adapt to the changing needs of the child and the financial circumstances of the parents. Modifications may be necessary if there are significant changes in either parent’s financial situation or in the child’s needs. Common reasons for modifying child support include:

  • Changes in Custody Arrangements: Alterations in how physical custody is shared can impact the child support obligations.
  • Income Changes: Significant increases or decreases in income for either parent can necessitate a modification.
  • Emancipation: The child becomes legally independent, terminating the need for child support.
  • New Needs: The child develops new medical or educational needs that require additional financial support.

Our team at Law Office of Michael L. Fell is experienced in navigating the complexities of child support modifications, ensuring that the support provided is fair and adequate for the child’s needs.

Spousal Support Modifications

Spousal support, or alimony, may also need to be adjusted as circumstances change. Common reasons for seeking a modification of spousal support include:

  • Termination of Child Support: The end of child support payments may impact spousal support obligations.
  • Job Loss: The spouse paying support loses their job or experiences a significant decrease in income.
  • New Employment: The spouse receiving support gains new employment or a substantial salary increase.
  • Lack of Effort: The spouse receiving support is not making a good faith effort to become self-sufficient.

We assist clients in seeking fair modifications to spousal support agreements, ensuring that the support reflects the current financial realities and needs of both parties.

How We Can Help

At Law Office of Michael L. Fell, we understand the legal standards and evidence required to support a modification request. Our experienced attorneys will guide you through the process, helping you gather the necessary documentation and present a compelling case to the court. We are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcomes for our clients, ensuring that your agreements continue to serve your family’s needs.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

If you need assistance with modifying your divorce or custody agreements, contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at 949-585-9055. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your situation and explore how we can support you. Our team is committed to providing top-quality representation and personalized legal advice to help you adapt your agreements to life’s changes.